[p4] Who deleted a client

Stephen Vance steve at vance.com
Thu Oct 4 15:01:36 PDT 2001

At 04:43 PM 10/4/2001 -0500, Dave Lewis wrote:
>   > From: Stephen Vance <steve at vance.com>
>   >
>   > At 08:00 AM 10/4/2001 -0700, Jeff A. Bowles wrote:
>   > >At 09:04 AM 10/4/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>   > >>if you have client specs that are complex and change often, then the
>   > >>recreate approach can pick up those changes. Not that you couldn't
> update
>   > >>your fixed client before each build too...
>   > >
>   > >Oh, certainly. But the question remains in my mind,
>   > >what sorts of procedures would require constantly
>   > >changing the client specs and thereby changing the
>   > >contents of the workspace?
>
>Generally speaking, there are 3rdparty libs that are versioned.
>There are new releases on a monthly or less basis.
>We also want to be able to use older releases at the same time
>
>so it looks like this:
>//depot/thirdparty/product/1.2.3/lib/... //buildclient/thirdparty/lib/...
>
>later it may be changed to something like:
>//depot/thirdparty/product/1.2.5/lib/... //buildclient/thirdparty/lib/...
>
>althgough some other builds may still be using the 1.2.3 versions.
>
>people are loath to include all the versions in the build space, for
>space reasons.
>
>I suppose we could just checkin new versions on top of each other, but
>then builds would require a pre-sync to specific versions.
>
>thoughts?
>
>dave

Don't draw directly from the third party drop tree.  Rather branch the
appropriate library version into the build branch.  This obviously requires
a branch for each build that you want to do on a regular basis, but since
the builds should correspond to maintained products or product versions,
that shouldn't be an imposition.

Stephen Vance
mailto:steve at vance.com
http://www.vance.com/