[p4] Re: determining the status of a clientspec

Dennis Wheeler dennis.wheeler at pictureiq.com
Tue Oct 9 15:17:04 PDT 2001

perforce-user-request at perforce.com wrote:

> "p4 changes  //depot/main/src/..."  tells us about all changelists
> that affected files under //depot/main/src/, and
> "p4 changes -m1 will restrict the output so that it's only the
> most recent one ('-m1') changelist.
>
> So, "p4 changes -m1  //depot/main/src/... at garfield" will tell
> us about the most recent changelist GIVEN to client workspace
> "garfield".

Except, if the last changelist only contain deletions, then it will
report that your most recent changelist # is the previous  changelist
number

So if, for example, you were to use that number to sync another client,
or re-sync your current client, you would end up with the wrong set of
revisions.

example:
  change 12345
    some edits....
  change 12346
    delete this file

  p4 sync ...
    (file deleted in change #12346 has been removed from client)
  p4 changes -m1 @my_client
    change 12345 (this is wrong)

I once knew a work around for getting the correct number, but I've
forgotten it.

-- dennis