[p4] Re: determining the status of a clientspec

Rick Macdonald rickm at vsl.com
Tue Oct 9 16:30:27 PDT 2001

I use a slightly different command in my builds:

p4 changes -m1 -s submitted //$P4CLIENT/...

I believe this gives me the highest submitted changelist number for any
file in the clientspec. But the key is I then run

p4 sync //$P4CLIENT/...@$CHANGE

In this way when I stash my build number it truly represents what I need
to sync to later duplicate the set of files. But be clear: my intention is
to build the latest contents of the depot, not to determine or record the
contents of the workspace before my build runs.

The "p4 changes -m1 //depot/main/src/... at garfield" command seems dubious
because of the examples that people have given. There's no guarantee that
this changelist number can ever be used to reconstruct the workspace
contents.