[p4] Re: determining the status of a clientspec

Chuck Karish karish at well.com
Tue Oct 9 23:29:11 PDT 2001

At 10:13 PM 10/9/2001 -0400, Marc Unangst wrote:
>Developer A: Hmm, I'm seeing a bug where you trip an assert at line X of file Y.c.
>Developer B: That's weird, I thought I fixed that.  <runs some "p4 changes" commands>  Yup, that's fixed in change 12345.  Do you have that?
>Developer A: Er, I dunno.  Let me sync and try again.
>
>I realize that "highest change number" isn't foolproof, but in the presence of "normal" developer work habits (i.e.,people that sync to head-of-line rather than to a particular change number, and who sync their whole client at once) it seems like a good first approximation to answer the question "have you sync'd since change 12345 was checked in?".

There's a good reason why it's "normal": in most cases, that's the
way the development process is organized.  The head revisions are
supposed to be the latest and greatest from all contributors.

If this weren't the case - a maintenance line accumulating strictly-
gated bug fixes, a manifest-managed line made up of individually-
enabled changes - the response from Developer B wouldn't make sense.
There's a strong resumption that getting the latest changes means being
at the state of the product.

Chuck Karish            karish at well.com           (415) 317-0182