[p4] RE: Perforce and Visual SourceSafe

Schlueter, Michael Schlueter at secunet.de
Thu Oct 11 22:43:57 PDT 2001

Hi Max,
we have used MS Source Safe in the past and switched to Perforce some weeks
ago. So we have many projects still in the Source Safe database. We have
both clients (Source Safe and P4) installed on every machine without any
problem.
If you install Source Safe after Perforce you will probably loose the scc
integration of perforce in your IDE.
At least with MS Visual Studio it's no big deal to switch between Perforce
and Source Safe integration.
I have created two .reg files:
------------------
SourceSafe.reg
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SourceCodeControlProvider]
"ProviderRegKey"="Software\\Microsoft\\SourceSafe"
--------------------
Perforce.reg
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SourceCodeControlProvider]
"ProviderRegKey"="SOFTWARE\\Perforce\\p4"
"Perforce SCM"="SOFTWARE\\Perforce\\p4"
-------------------
To change the current SourceCodeControlProvider, I just have to execute the
right registry file, to change the ProviderRegKey. You have to reopen the
Visual Studio to make the change visible. Since the registry key is not
Visual Studio specific, I assume that this should work with other IDEs as
well.

Michael

--
Michael Schluter