[p4] Curious how others handle interface with defect tracking without using P4DTI

Gareth Rees gdr at ravenbrook.com
Mon Oct 15 08:02:51 PDT 2001

At 15:59 -0400 2001-10-12, Dave Gough wrote:
>Of course, one of the smoothest integrations I think you might be
>able to create would come from a combination of P4DTI and DevTrack's
>method.  DevTrack integrates with Perforce by knowing all of the p4
>commands and acting as a sort of shell around them (similiar to the
>P4Win interface).  Rather than trying to get into Perforce's guts
>and mess around, it knows Perforce's behaviours and molds itself
>around them.

The DevTrack approach is neat: it provides a way to use the defect
tracker as a Perforce interface.  At Ravenbrook we called this the
"tracker-client" architecture and considered using it as a component
of the P4DTI; see
<http://www.ravenbrook.com/project/p4dti/doc/2000-05-08/arch-proposals/#section-3.1>.
But we couldn't figure out an affordable way to implement it for
defect trackers like TeamTrack and Bugzilla that are entirely
web-based.  In order to be able to act as a Perforce interface, the
defect tracker needs to be able to read and write files on the local
machine (to do edit, submit, sync, diff etc).  But this isn't
possible from a web browser.  You can see 5 workarounds! in
<http://www.ravenbrook.com/project/p4dti/doc/2000-08-21/glyphic-meeting/>
and the reasons why we didn't implement them.  So we focused on the
replication architecture, because it works with all defect trackers.

There's nothing to stop someone using the Perforce defect tracking
integration kit
<http://public.perforce.com/public/perforce/p4dti/index.html#kit> to
develop the replication part of an integration, and then add the
tracker-client part as well.  (One way to get some tracker-client
functionality on Windows would be to use the Microsoft SCC interface
and Perforce's SCC DLL.)