[p4] Split part of perforce depot to a new server

Stephen Vance steve at vance.com
Tue Oct 16 17:32:16 PDT 2001

You could set the original server as a remote server to the new one and
branch the remote's files into the new depot.  The history will still be
available.  This would work if you are splitting for load and performance
reasons and history is not as important.

If you're looking to split because of disk capacity, I would recommend just
adding more disk and mounting it under critical directory trees.  You can
do this on Unix as a matter of course, and under Windows 2000 it's a new
feature.

You could also use vcp to copy just the portion of the depot to the new
one.  This is cleaner than the cvs route, but you will lose some
information regardless, like integration records.

Ultimately, the most faithful replication is the one that you don't want to
do because of obliterate time.

It just depends on what trade-offs you can live with.

Steve