[p4] attributes on a file

Chuck Karish karish at well.com
Wed Oct 17 05:22:49 PDT 2001

At 05:10 PM 10/16/2001 -0600, Catherine Fahlgren wrote:
>Is there a way of attaching an attribute to a file in Perforce?
>In ClearCase, one can establish name/value pairs, e.g., to
>signify which revision of a file has been code reviewed.  The
>attribute might be named "CodeReviewed" and would have string
>value, "true" or "false."  We'd like to do something similar
>in Perforce.

You're asking Perforce to move toward being a workflow engine.
I doubt that this direction fits within the "do one task and do it well"
philosophy that guides Perforce's design.

If I were doing this I'd do it at the change level rather than at the
file level.  The obvious approach is to write a utility that edits the
comments for submitted changelists. This requires p4 superuser
access.   You may want to use a presubmit trigger to make sure
that the attribute strings aren't in the comments when the change
is first submitted.

Chuck Karish            karish at well.com           (415) 317-0182