[p4] Editing Projects files

Stephen Vance steve at vance.com
Wed Oct 17 08:21:24 PDT 2001

I think the following answers your questions:

1)  To report on the changes made for a file open for edit, run 'p4 diff
filename' on the file in question.  'p4 diff' without any arguments will
generate a report for every file open for edit.  Yes, this requires going
through Perforce and must be executed on the client machine and, in most
normal cases, in the client workspace.
2)  Perforce doesn't notify clients that files have changed until they do
something that might require that information.  Specifically, when you open
a file for edit, it tells you if the file is not sync'ed to the head
revision or if others have the file open.  If you try to submit a file that
is not sync'ed to head, it requires you to resolve to the head revision
before allowing you to submit.

At 02:38 PM 10/17/2001 +1100, Shahram Besharati wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have recently started using Perforce and have a query:
>
>1 -  For editing files that are in a Client Workspace and at the same time
>being able to get a report on the changes made, do I have to go through
>Perforce?  How would Perforce notify a client if changes have been made to
>the client workspace files without going through Perforce?
>

>Thanks in advance,
>
>Shah

Stephen Vance
mailto:steve at vance.com