[p4] Branching in one direction only?

Kendall Bennett KendallB at scitechsoft.com
Wed Oct 17 11:06:39 PDT 2001

Hi Guys,

We have use Perforce to bring in code from CVS archives that we
actively contribute to. The problem I am having is that I need to
find a way to be able to branch a file on direction from the CVS tree
into our main development tree, but not the other way around. The CVS
tree contains a 'setup0.h' header file that contains #define's that
control the build system and is constantly modified by the core
developers. People compiling this code are expected to manually copy
the setup0.h file to setup.h and make any local modifications.

Of course it becomes a nightmare maintaining this, so we have a
branch set up such that it branches their active setup0.h into our
local setup.h file. That way when we bring over new updates from the
CVS tree, their changes will be automatically merged into our local
setup.h file, while still maintaining our local modifications.

But the problem is every time we submit code *back* to the CVS branch
and then into the CVS repository, we need to manually remember to
revert any changes going back into the CVS setup0.h file. Hence I am
trying to find a way to tell Perforce to allow me to branch the file
*from* the CVS branch into the main branch but not *to* the CVS
branch. Is that possible at all?

Thanks!

|   SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software!     |
| Kendall Bennett          | Email: KendallB at scitechsoft.com    |
| Director of Engineering  | Phone: (530) 894 8400              |
| SciTech Software, Inc.   | Fax  : (530) 894 9069              |
| 505 Wall Street          | ftp  : ftp.scitechsoft.com         |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA     | www  : http://www.scitechsoft.com  |