[p4] Triggers not working for me.

Stephen Vance steve at vance.com
Thu Oct 18 06:42:18 PDT 2001

Joseph --

Robert is absolutely correct.  If you do a 'p4 help triggers' the second
paragraph states that output to stdout (not stderr) will only be shown for
a non-zero exit status, thus Robert's quoting of "works."

Given this, I find Robert's output a little unusual, as the echo to stdout
is not shown, but the shell generated error (to stderr) is.  This strikes
me as the reverse of the documentation.

Steve

At 10:00 AM 10/18/2001 +0100, Robert Cowham wrote:
>Joseph
>
>For a trigger to "work" it needs to exit with non zero status (and
>preferably put some text to standard out). Your echo is exiting with zero
>status so the trigger doesn't "fire" or have any effect on the submit. Try
>the following:
>
>robert:/usr/home/robert/temp$ p4 triggers -o
>#
># See 'p4 help triggers' for more information about triggers.
>
>Triggers:
>         something //... "/bin/echo 'hello world'; /bin/badcommand"
>
>Then when I do a submit:
>
>sh: /bin/badcommand: No such file or directory
>Change 2 created with 2 open file(s).
>Submitting change 2.
>Locking 2 files ...
>Submit validation failed -- fix problems then use 'p4 submit -c 2'.
>Submit check 'something' failed: hello world
>/bin/badcommand is a non existent command which produces a non zero error.
>
>Robert

Stephen Vance
mailto:steve at vance.com
http://www.vance.com/