[p4] Number of depots and performance

Karl Elvis MacRae kmac at apple.com
Thu Oct 18 17:49:29 PDT 2001

Are there any known issues with having a really large number of
depots rather than limiting depots and having many sub-directories
under them?

My users have taken to - first creating one depot per project, and
then, creating one per *part* of a project, so we're now spawning
20-30 depots for each project we start. We're at 151 now, but this
was 100 just a couple of months ago...

This seems (to me) to be a really bad idea, and I know there's no
actual benefit. But is there really anything *bad* about this,
ion terms of p4 performance?

Thanks-

-Karl

Karl Elvis MacRae    VLSI CAD    Apple Computer    kmac at apple.com
408-974-0847 (voice) 408-832-5238 (cell)