[p4] Branching and ClientSpecs

Axelsson, Andreas Andreas.Axelsson at dice.se
Fri Oct 19 02:07:29 PDT 2001

Hi all!

I've just figured out that I need to use branches and I'm trying to figure
out how to best work with branches in perforce for our scenario:

We have a Projects folder in the depot root, and under Projects there is a
subfolder for each Product that we work on. For each Product, the sources
are available directly, like this:

+Projects
  +Product
    +PModule1
    +PModule2

When we want to make a version or milestone branch, which is the most
favored way?

+Projects
  +Product
    +PModule1
    +PModule2
    +V1.0
      +PModule1
      +PModule2

...or...

+Projects
  +Product
    +PModule1
    +PModule2
  +Product_v1.0
    +PModule1
    +PModule2

...or should I've thought of this earlier and made it like this...

+Projects
  +Product
    +Head
      +PModule1
      +PModule2
    +V1.0
      +PModule1
      +PModule2

Also, what's the preferred way of mapping this to the client. We're using
devstudio on Windows for most of our development. Should one remove the
version or head folder in the mapping and have everything go to the same
root folder on the client, or should one create completely different roots
and work as if the branch was a completely different set of files?

Normal view:
//depot/Projects/Product/... //client/Projects/Product/...

Branch alternatives:
//depot/Projects/Product/V1.0/... //client/Projects/Product/...

//depot/Projects/Product_V1.0/... //client/Projects/Product_V1.0/...

//depot/Projects/Product/V1.0/... //client/Projects/Product/V1.0/...

//depot/Projects/Product/V1.0/...
//client_with_new_root/Projects/Product/...

Real life experiences, guides, pros and cons are appreciated.

thanks
/axl