[p4] [Newbie Question] Evaluating Perforce

Russell C. Jackson rcjackson at alum.atu.edu
Fri Oct 19 10:33:13 PDT 2001

Yes, you will need a demo license to test this many users. Just request one
from support at perforce.com.

The quickstart may be mis-leading you somehow because the client and server
are definitely not on the same machine. All you have to do is install the
client on each machine and enter the IP and port for the server when it asks
for it during the install.

It order to work disconnected, your users are going to have to take some
extra steps because Perforce is designed with the assumption that you will
normally be connected. See technote:

http://www.perforce.com/perforce/technotes/note002.html

Also, there are some products that are designed specifically for users who
work in a distributed and sometimes disconnected environment that you may
want to look at. One that I ran across recently was BitKeeper. You can find
more info. on them at www.bitkeeper.com. I can't say how well the product
actually works though because I never tried it, I only read about it.

Rusty

Russell C. Jackson
rcjackson at alum.atu.edu