[p4] Use "workspace" instead of "client"

Robert Cowham robert at vaccaperna.co.uk
Mon Oct 22 11:53:44 PDT 2001

Dear all

I would like to poll the list for some feedback following the user
conference (feedback will be sent to Perforce, and this poll has their
blessing - well at least that of Tech Pubs department!).

As I mentioned at the conference (and was noted by Perforce!), the word
"client" is used in many different ways in Perforce documentation. It is
used rather ambiguously, at least for neophyte users, to refer to a "client
workspace" (in some documentation), i.e. the entity defined/modified by the
"p4 client" command.

So, for example, the changes that I would like to propose (backwardly
compatible of course, though deprecated) are:

p4 client			-> p4 workspace
p4 clients			-> p4 workspaces
p4 -c (usage flag)	-> p4 -w
P4CLIENT env variable	-> P4WORKSPACE

As a minor aside, workspace here is actually referring to a "workspace
specification" (as do "branch", "label" and "jobspec" respectively refer to
specifications of things rather than the actual things themselves), but
that's a more tricky one to correct - although if anyone has
suggestions.....

As you can imagine, there is quite a bit of work in updating code and more
importantly documentation to support this.

Do other Perforce users feel that this approach would be clearer than the
current multiplicity of uses for the word "client"?

There was a good show of hands at the conference in support of this - I'm
interested in collecting further evidence.

Feel free to send responses just to me rather than the list to avoid
cluttering it up (I will summarise and pass on).

Thanks
Robert