[p4] Use "workspace" instead of "client"

Jeff A. Bowles jab at piccoloeng.com
Mon Oct 22 13:52:37 PDT 2001

On Robert Cowham's poll:

At 01:11 PM 10/22/2001 -0700, Paul Cody wrote:
>Absolutely yes.  I would estimate that the word "client" accounts for at
>least a few hours of unproductive confusion for each new Perforce user.  I'd
>say that adds a hundred bucks or so onto the real per-user cost of Perforce.

I use the term "client workspace" almost always when
working with people, and that helps a lot. However, if
you're gonna kill this bird, find the pigeon named
"'the term 'client machine needs to be cleaned up, also" and
toss a rock at it, too. ("P4HOSTNAME" makes sense to
me, anyhow, and the Host: field in "p4 workspace" would
be "Hostname:".)

Then "client" will mean "the client program (e.g. p4 or
p4win or p4web and, perhaps, the API?)" and only that.

         -Jeff Bowles