[p4] Use "workspace" instead of "client"

Karl Elvis MacRae kmac at apple.com
Mon Oct 22 14:19:17 PDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 01:11:46PM -0700, Paul Cody spake thus:
> > Do other Perforce users feel that this approach would be
> > clearer than the
> > current multiplicity of uses for the word "client"?
> >

> Absolutely yes.  I would estimate that the word "client" accounts for at
> least a few hours of unproductive confusion for each new Perforce user.  I'd
> say that adds a hundred bucks or so onto the real per-user cost of Perforce.

I'd have to agree. We call them "Work Areas", and I have endless conversations
with users about "client" vs. "Work Area".

It would make p4 *way* easier to manage and teach if the terminology were
less confusing. The concepts are fairly standard, yet the terms are not.

-Karl

Karl Elvis MacRae    VLSI CAD    Apple Computer    kmac at apple.com
408-974-0847 (voice) 408-832-5238 (cell)