[p4] Use "workspace" instead of "client"

Paul C. Pharr pharr at nemetschek.net
Mon Oct 22 17:51:44 PDT 2001

>It would make p4 *way* easier to manage and teach if the terminology were
>less confusing. The concepts are fairly standard, yet the terms are not.

I think one of the biggest terminology problems is the lack of consistency
between the various user interfaces. If you look at P4Win, P4Web, the
command line, and the IDE plug-ins for MSVC and Metrowerks, there are
numerous completely different ways of describing the same thing. The
terminology for resolving is so different that we have a web page we use as
a cross reference for our engineers who must use many of the tools on
different platforms. The situation is so consistently confusing it's almost
funny.

I can understand how this happens watching our own software grow from one
platform to another, but it seems that at least as far as the GUIs are
concerned that the terminology could be identical.

Paul C. Pharr
CAD Software Manager
Nemetschek North America