[p4] Use "workspace" instead of "client"

Chuck Karish karish at well.com
Mon Oct 22 22:56:02 PDT 2001

Rick Macdonald  beat me to the list both on this point:

> For me, a much bigger terminolgy problem is with "yours" and "theirs" when
> resolving. Is "yours" always the workspace file, or is it always the
> target file, or is it never always either?

and on this one:

> So now we'll talk about "workspaces" and "workspace specs" instead of
> "clients" and "client specs"?
>
> Whereas currently "client" refers to both diskspace and depot metadata,
> now "workspace" will refer to both diskspace and depot metadata?
>
> This doesn't sound like much of a change to me!

Nor to me!   Client workspace, client specification, client view, client program,
client system - it takes a little while to sort out how Perforce works no matter
what words are used.  The existing nomenclature is consistent and workable.
Just use the word "client" strictly as an adjective when you do orientation
lectures and the users will get it.

  Chuck Karish

Chuck Karish            karish at well.com           (415) 317-0182