[p4] Use "workspace" instead of "client"

Chuck Karish karish at well.com
Mon Oct 22 23:06:14 PDT 2001

At 02:42 PM 10/22/2001 -0700, Frank Merrow wrote:

>The number one problem I have with EXPERIENCED users is trying to reuse their client specs across multiple machines.
>
>I'd almost like to call them something like DISKSPEC or WORKDISK or something to really nail down that these definitions are nailed directly to the hard drive.
>
>To think of them any other way is to invite problems.

If there is One Correct Way to think about this, it's that each file on disk must
be mapped to the p4 depot through one 1:1 mapping in one client spec.  It's
OK if that disk is accessed from multiple machines (NFS, Network Neighborhood,
Samba, what have you).  In that case (one instance on disk, more than one system)
the accesses must all be done using the same client specification regardless of which
machine they're done from.

Chuck Karish            karish at well.com           (415) 317-0182