[p4] Use "workspace" instead of "client"

Rick Macdonald rickm at vsl.com
Tue Oct 23 08:09:20 PDT 2001

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Chris Patti wrote:

> At 08:10 PM 10/22/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> >At 05:24 PM 10/22/2001 -0400, Chris Patti wrote:
> >>I really like "sandbox" too FWIW.
> >>
> >>It denotes exactly what the thing does, and is a term not used by
> >>anything else already.
> >
> >Actually, MKS Source Integrity uses this term for the equivalent concept.
>

> Right, as do some other vendors I think.
>
> However they all use it to mean essentially the same thing, and that's what
> I was referring to.
>
> 'client' can mean anything from the Perforce entity that holds your views,
> sandbox root etc to a customer to the UI end of a c/s app to...

I think some people are calling a sandbox an area of the depot, whereas
others are saying it's an area on my disk. Not clear...

"Client" as a noun means many things, yes, but as somebody pointed out
(sorry, I didn't save the message to know who it was) "client" as an
adjective is always clear: client spec, client view, etc.

Just _never_ use "client" as a noun in the Perforce environment!

...RickM...