[p4] Use "workspace" instead of "client"

Karr, David david.karr at cacheflow.com
Tue Oct 23 08:44:16 PDT 2001

Unfortunately, the convention i've seen is that a developer's "sandbox" is a
"client view" of the "sandbox" depot, which we use as an intermediate
checkin depot.  After changes are checked into the "sandbox" depot and
tested, they are manually merged back to the main depot (since Perforce
can't merge across depots).  I dislike this setup, but I can understand why
they do it.

Personally, I've always liked the term we used when using ClearCase, which
was simply a "view".  That represents the user's personal "virtual" checkout
area.  It doesn't directly correspond to an area of the disk, as individual
ClearCase views can be used from more than one system.

I am certain, however, that the term "client" isn't very good.