[p4] Use "workspace" instead of "client"

Rick Macdonald rickm at vsl.com
Tue Oct 23 08:44:46 PDT 2001

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Chris Patti wrote:

> > > 'client' can mean anything from the Perforce entity that holds your views,
> > > sandbox root etc to a customer to the UI end of a c/s app to...
> >
> >I think some people are calling a sandbox an area of the depot, whereas
> >others are saying it's an area on my disk. Not clear...
> >
> >"Client" as a noun means many things, yes, but as somebody pointed out
> >(sorry, I didn't save the message to know who it was) "client" as an
> >adjective is always clear: client spec, client view, etc.
> >
> >Just _never_ use "client" as a noun in the Perforce environment!
> >
> >...RickM...
>
> I have never, ever encountered the term 'sandbox' being used as anything
> other than the local directory/area where developers work on files that are
> checked in/out from source control.
>
> If you can find an instance of someone using it otherwise, I'd be pleased
> to see it.

Jeff said this in referring to what he's seen at some Perforce sites:

--- snip ---
I've seen some Perforce sites use "sandbox" to mean
"a place in the depot that's specific to this user, where
he/she can check in files for personal/non-product
use and which will not be included, using from the sandbox
pathname, in any production work. (Work might be
integrated from the sandbox into a production codeline
or the other direction, however.)"

         -Jeff Bowles
--- snip ---

...RickM...