[p4] terminology: "yours" and "theirs" in resolve

Dave Lewis dlewis at vignette.com
Tue Oct 23 09:29:56 PDT 2001

  > > For me, a much bigger terminolgy problem is with "yours" and
  > > "theirs" when resolving. Is "yours" always the workspace file,
  > > or is it always the target file, or is it never always either?
  > >
  > > ...RickM...
  >
  > Glad to see I'm not the only one. Since most of my resolves involve
  > branching, I have
  > a 3x5 card on my wall that says: "Source = Theirs, Target = Yours"
  >
  > I have to ignore that when it comes time to submit a file that's been
  > changed by someone
  > else. (I understand how the terminology applies, but I still can't keep it
  > straight without a
  > bit of thought.) -Wm
 -=- MIME -=-
--=_alternative 004CACF986256AEE_=

> For me, a much bigger terminolgy problem is with "yours" and
> "theirs" when resolving. Is "yours" always the workspace file,
> or is it always the target file, or is it never always either?
>
> ...RickM...

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Since most of my resolves involve
branching, I have
a 3x5 card on my wall that says: "Source = Theirs, Target = Yours"

I have to ignore that when it comes time to submit a file that's been
changed by someone
else. (I understand how the terminology applies, but I still can't keep it
straight without a
bit of thought.) -Wm

--=_alternative 004CACF986256AEE_=

> ...RickM...<br>
--=_alternative 004CACF986256AEE_=--

Well, maybe I don't really understand this, but I thought yours was always
the file in your client workspace.  When doing branch/integrations, this
still applies, I think...  If this is true, then theirs is always the
other file...

With regard to branching, I find many times people think of this
operation as moving files from one depot spot to another.  This leads
them to ignore their client mappings, which leads to the confusing "no
files in depot and client view".  message.

I try to emphasize that *nothing* gets into the depot without going thru
a client first!  files are integrated into your client,then submitted to
the parts of the depot the client maps to.

dave