[p4] Use "workspace" instead of "client"

Steven Bennett bennett at jmisoftware.com
Tue Oct 23 09:35:34 PDT 2001

I'd have to say that we should stick with the term client.  Workspace
isn't much better, as the problem isn't in the term, it's in how it's
used.   As several people pointed out, "client" as a noun is the
confusing aspect -- it really ought to only be used as an adjective --
"client specification", "client view", etc.  That's pretty clear, and
the docs follow that most of the time.

The area for the real confusion lies in the use of it as a command on
the command line, as in "p4 client" and "p4 clients", where the term is
effectively treated as a noun or a verb.  I've also seen confusion with
"p4 branch", "p4 branches", "p4 change", "p4 changes", and a whole lot
of other commands that refer to lists and specifications by the just the
adjective describing them, and that's where the confusion pops in.
Interestingly, our P4Win users have much less confusion on any of these
issues, probably because the terms there mostly are used correctly.

If I thought this needed fixing (I'm not convinced), and wanted to avoid
as much confusion as possible, then I'd be looking to change those
command names to something clear like "p4 editclientspec" and "p4
listclientspecs".  For people who think that's too long, just "p4
clientspec" and "p4 clientspecs" is a bit shorter and less obvious, but
still much more clear than what we have now.

IMHO,
-->Steve Bennett