[p4] terminology: "yours" and "theirs" in resolve

Rick Macdonald rickm at vsl.com
Tue Oct 23 10:14:32 PDT 2001

Robert - you missed copying this great post to the mailing list...

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Robert Cowham wrote:

> Well email support and quote the following 2 jobs:
>
> job002559 - Reshow when scrolls of top of screen.
>             c:\ws\jam\main.c - merging //depot/proj/jam/main.c#7
> 	    Diff chunks: 0 yours + 2 theirs + 0 both + 0 conflicting
>
> job003609 - redisplay the source and target paths when it reprompts for the
>             resolve action.
>
> Jeff Bowles made a suggestion:
>
>          yours = //depot/src/lib/gui/x.java#3
>          base = //depot/src/lib/gui/x.java#2
>          theirs = //depot/release1/gui/x.java
>          diffs:  0 (yours) + 1 (theirs) + 0 (both) + 1 (conflict)
> You could turn this off with a flag, but that it would always tell
> you the longer names.

Repeating the prompt would sure be a big help. I like Jeff's suggestion as
well, but it would be nice addition to see which workspace file is being
changed:
          yours  = //depot/src/lib/gui/x.java#3
                 = /home/rickm/src/mainline/lib/gui/x.java
          base   = //depot/src/lib/gui/x.java#2
          theirs = //depot/release1/gui/x.java
          diffs:  0 (yours) + 1 (theirs) + 0 (both) + 1 (conflict)

In the case of an edit conflict, I think this might look like this, but
I'm not sure about the revision numbers and had to guess here:

          yours  = //depot/src/lib/gui/x.java#1
                 = /home/rickm/src/mainline/lib/gui/x.java
          base   = //depot/src/lib/gui/x.java#1
          theirs = //depot/src/lib/gui/x.java#2
          diffs:  0 (yours) + 1 (theirs) + 0 (both) + 1 (conflict)

Does everybody agree that the above leaves nothing to the imagination?
"yours/theirs" is still unfortunate, but at least I can see what I'm
working with.