[p4] quick protocol question

Mike Castle mcastle at yy.com
Tue Oct 23 16:28:47 PDT 2001

This question just popped into my brain, and I was wondering if anyone knew
the answer off of the top of their head (before I go an explore the API
and/or P4 wire protocol).

When a file is store compressed on the server (say a largish binary file),
is it uncompressed before being sent over the wire?  What if the client is
using the compress setting?

I was just curious if a file is already compressed, it would make sense to
send it over the wire compressed and have the client uncompress it.

As I said, just a random thought while doing a sync, and watching it pause
on a fairly large binary file.

mrc