[p4] Versioning Client Specs

Kevin Towers ktowers at omnexcontrols.com
Tue Oct 23 16:33:04 PDT 2001

We would like to define a client spec (view) for each project.  This client
spec would be shared by everyone working on a given project.  This client
would specify the mapping from the depot into each developer's workspace.
The project build scripts could be tailored specifically to work within that
workspace context (parent directories, etc).  So in order to rebuild a
project from scratch, you would need to retrieve the client spec first, then
sync to the head revision of the depot view and type 'make' (or whatever).

A few weeks ago, there was a thread that discussed methods of versioning
client specs.  Some user's had a special place in the depot where all
project related client specs would be stored.  This was supposed to get
around the chicken and the egg problem.  There would be one client spec per
project.

My questions are:  How would this work with labels?  Is the client spec also
part of the label?  A workspace cannot be sync'd to a label contents unless
the client spec contains the appropriate mappings (used at the time the
label was made).  How do I get around this problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin Towers
Omnex Control Systems