[p4] Use "workspace" instead of "client"

Stephen Vance steve at vance.com
Tue Oct 23 19:15:12 PDT 2001

At 08:44 AM 10/23/2001 -0700, Karr, David wrote:
>Personally, I've always liked the term we used when using ClearCase, which
>was simply a "view".  That represents the user's personal "virtual" checkout
>area.  It doesn't directly correspond to an area of the disk, as individual
>ClearCase views can be used from more than one system.

Unfortunately, "view" is used in several contexts within Perforce to
describe the mapping between namespaces.  Also, implementationally "view"
makes more sense in the ClearCase context, since the file system driver is
presenting a well-specified slice of the CC database, not making a copy
into local disk storage that can be time-inconsistent with the
specification of the mapping.

Stephen Vance
mailto:steve at vance.com
http://www.vance.com/