[p4] quick protocol question

Paul Goffin PGoffin at baltimore.com
Wed Oct 24 01:24:45 PDT 2001

> When a file is store compressed on the server (say a largish
> binary file),
> is it uncompressed before being sent over the wire?  What if
> the client is
> using the compress setting?

I asked this question back when the two compress features were
introduced.

Basically, the server is pretty "dumb" here - the
librarian serves "uncompressed" files - how it stores
them is it's own affair.  If the client spec
requests a compressed data stream, the server takes the
uncompressed file from the librarian and compresses
it for the protocol.

Hence using the "compress" client option can use quite a
bit of CPU when transfering binaries.

Paul.

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended
for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or
there are any problems please notify the originator immediately.  The
unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is
strictly forbidden. Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for direct,
special, indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration of the
contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any virus being
passed on.

In addition, certain Marketing collateral may be added from time to time to
promote Baltimore Technologies products, services, Global e-Security or
appearance at trade shows and conferences.

computer viruses.