[p4] Use "workspace" instead of "client"

Ines Heinz iheinz at llnl.gov
Tue Oct 23 08:54:22 PDT 2001

In my work, we give each of the developers a branch that contains all
the files in the main branch. This allows them to work on the files
via p4 edit/submit/sync/whatever without messing up the main branch.
It also allows them to have multiple clients (for development on
different architectures) which can be thought of a their local
directory sandboxes.  We call that branch their sandbox.

Ines

At 11:33 AM -0400 10/23/01, Chris Patti wrote:
>At 10:27 AM 10/23/2001 -0500, Dave Lewis wrote:
>>   >
>>   > I have never, ever encountered the term 'sandbox' being used as anything
>>   > other than the local directory/area where developers work on
>>files that are
>>   > checked in/out from source control.
>>   >
>>   > If you can find an instance of someone using it otherwise, I'd be pleased
>>   > to see it.
>>   >
>>   > Thanks!
>>   >
>>   > -Chris
>>
>>Here you go! This server has a top level depot called "SANDBOX"!
>>
>>$ p4 dirs '//*'
>>//AST
>>//BUILD
>>//SANDBOX
>>//VEAP
>>

>>dave
>
>OK that makes *no* sense to me, but hey YMMV :)
>
>I stand corrected and withdraw my suggestion.
>
>-Chris
>(I'll still always call the area the developer works in their
>'sandbox' but that doesn't mean Perforce needs to adopt that
>terminology :)

Aura Ines Heinz                     PO Box 808, Livermore, CA 94451
925-423-7900                         L-61, Production Systems Group
fax 925-423-8719             Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
heinz2 at llnl.gov                            University of California