[p4] Versioning Client Specs

Kevin Towers ktowers at omnexcontrols.com
Wed Oct 24 15:23:14 PDT 2001

Thanks for all of the feedback.

I'm all for keeping things simple, but life sometimes doesn't agree :)

We develop embedded firmware that runs in custom hardware also developed by
us.  We have many different finished products and product variations.  Many
are developed from three sources (types) of code: a generic processor
specific library, a specific hardware platform library, and the application
code.  So our depot looks something like:

//depot/software/libs/avr/...			# generic library with
include files
//depot/telemetry/rf_module/...		# specific hard library with include
files
//depot/telemetry/ds-900/...			# end product source files

At the moment we map the library files to a fixed place on each development
machine.  This is a problem when working on two (or more) different end
products that may use different versions of the same library.  It also make
the makefiles complex because they must reference absolute files somewhere
else on the drive.

What I would like to do is something like:

//depot/software/libs/avr/...	  //ds-900_client/ds-900/libs/...
//depot/telemetry/rf_module/... //ds-900_client/ds-900/rf_module/...
//depot/telemetry/ds-900/...	  //ds-900_client/ds-900/source/...

The makefiles now use relative paths to get needed libraries.  The complete
product files are in a neat "package" at a known version.

We have had a issue where we branched a library path in order to rename the
library.  Our clients changed to suit the new mapping, but we had a problem
when trying to sync to a older label that used the old library name.  If we
have versioned the clients, this would not have been a problem.  BTW, we are
primarily using the Perforce GUI.  I don't know of any way to import and
export clients.... i.e. for versioning them.

This is not a novel concept - using versioned libraries for different
products.  I wondering how other users have tackled this problem in
Perforce.