[p4] DevTrack and Perforce

Jeff A. Bowles jab at piccoloeng.com
Thu Oct 25 10:33:06 PDT 2001

At 09:59 AM 10/25/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>I know that Perforce is working on P4SQL to use for queries against the
>databases.  They did demos of it at the User's Conference.  They said
>something about using the query language with Crystal Reports.  So...the
>reporting mechanism is getting there.

         I believe that the real key with the P4SQL mechanism is that
         it supports ODBC interfaces to much of the Perforce data,
         although it's really prying out that information using "p4" commands
         such as "p4 fstat" and so on.

         That means that just about any ODBC-savvy application will be
         able to get to the data, including pretty Excel spreadsheets and
         Crystal Reports. Certainly, the latter will have a number of
         enthusiasts, but don't ignore the middle management love of
         pretty pictures that you can get with Excel and its ilk.

         -jab