[p4] Filetypes and modifiers

Jeff A. Bowles jab at piccoloeng.com
Fri Oct 26 15:41:28 PDT 2001

I saw this go by...
>   > I have a bit of a dilemma...  In a nightly build script, files are
>   > submitted.  However, only one revision of some of these files need to be
>   > kept -- no problem, I just have to use the +S filetype
> modifier.  However,
>   > we're not always sure if these are going to be text files or binary
> files,
>   > nor if they are going to have any other modifiers already applied to
> them.

Although the original question was "how do I run something
like 'p4 cmd -t +S' to open/add/reopen the file with the +S
modifier added?", it invites another question...

Do you really want to check in a new REVISION that changes
the type of a file to "something+S", which stores only the
newest revision? Isn't that particular behavior something
that really has to do with the file itself, not a particular revision?

So if it's a log file, library file, or something like that, shouldn't
it ALREADY be "something+S"?

Or were you asking how to ADD a file with the "+S" modifier?
If so, the answers that came in ("well, open for 'add'
and then use 'p4 opened' to figure out its default type for the
add operation and use 'p4 reopen -t xxxxx+S' to reopen as
'that original type plus the +S modifier") make more sense....

         -jab