[p4] Code Management Tool

Stephen Vance steve at vance.com
Sat Oct 27 14:28:55 PDT 2001

The short answer is that you can definitely use Perforce to accomplish this.

There are several approaches, the most common being to use complex client
maps to bring multiple source trees into a single client workspace and to
branch common utilities into a common project branch and have simple client
maps.  Personally, I prefer the latter as it simplifies client maps and
prevents projects from directly modifying a common code base for which they
don't have ownership.  You can always reverse integrate useful changes back
to the shared code base.  There is an overhead in redistributing those
changes out to other consumer projects, but at least you have the choice of
whether to do it on a per-project basis.

At 09:27 PM 10/26/2001 -0400, Matt W. wrote:
>Anyone know of a code management tool (or will Perforce be able to do this
>effectively??)  that can be used to organize reusable code (whole
>components, functions, and simple script pieces) throughout multiple
>developer networked enviroment?  Preferably have integrated access
>rights/configurations per developer. In a sense, something like the SCM
>concept but geared toward reusable source code as opposed to projects as a
>whole.
>
>I'd like to "centralize" our internal code library; to eliminate the "I
>know I have it, I just have to find it" scenario company wide.
>
>I haven't researched Perforce's ability to manage code very deep yet, just
>trying to figure out if it's even along the same lines as what I'm looking for.
>

>Thanks for your help!
>
>Matt W.
>CyLutions

Stephen Vance