[p4] p4 fix doesn't update job?

Peter Janes peterj at liberate.com
Mon Oct 29 13:34:48 PST 2001

I'd like a review daemon to be able to recognize jobs that have been changed
since it was last run, and "p4 jobs -e 'Modified_Date>={lastrun}'" seems
like the way to go... except that the Modified_Date field isn't updated.

I've added a field, "Modified_Date", to the Perforce jobspec, as follows:

Fields:
	106 Modified_Date date 20 always

Presets:
	Modified_Date $now

This correctly changes a job's Modified_Date when "p4 job" is run, or when
"p4 submit" is run with the job specified in the changelist.  However, if a
user runs "p4 fix -c changelist jobname", the Modified_Date field doesn't
change.

The goal here is to allow jobs to be marked fixed "after the fact", e.g. if
someone has forgotten to add a job to a changelist, or a job has been fixed
by a related changelist.

Is this a known issue, a design feature, or a misunderstanding on my part?
Is there some way to make this work as I'd like, without polling the job
list?  (This is probably right out--it would generate an enormous server
load, as I'd need to save state and query all of the changelists on each
poll.)  I've searched the mailing list and Perforce's website with no
luck--perhaps P4DTI does this, but I haven't seen anything that mentions
this particular case.

Thanks for any help or comments,
Peter J.
--
fix, n., v.  What one does when a problem has been reported too many
times to be ignored.