[p4] Java interface to Perforce / P4API for Java

Jeff A. Bowles jab at piccoloeng.com
Tue Oct 30 16:32:16 PST 2001

[Sending a copy to perforce-user, since I think that these URLs are
particularly useful.   And "yes, the command-line interface is so
robust and easy to use that I would NOT bother with the C++ API
for any sort of build needs, ever. For linking against an application
written in C++ that does other stuff, maybe; for Perl/shell/Python
sorts of scripts, the command-line's great!"     -jab]

At 12:32 PM 10/30/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Thanks for your response Jeff--I'll look into it.  Do you know if the
>command-line interface is very robust?

         VERY robust. You'll find FAQs at
                 http://public.perforce.com/public/perforce/faq/index.html
         The build one is
http://public.perforce.com/public/perforce/faq/build.html

         I wouldn't bother with the API unless I was writing GUI applications
         that needed a C++ library to link against; the most I'd do is write
         in Python (which I like a lot) and use the "p4 -G" option to have it
         write its output (and read its input) in Python-friendly "marshal"
objects.

         -jab