[p4] Versioning directories

Janulewicz, Matthew mjanulew at alarismed.com
Tue Jun 1 17:03:19 PDT 2004

I can only speak for ClearCase. Versioning directories can sometimes come in
handy if you want to track file moves and deletes. However, it obscures your
code and versions of files therein. It can become unwieldy very quickly.
Referring to a file that is in a directory that has been renamed or moved in
ClearCase can be an exercise in futility and frustration, especially if your
users don't know exactly what they are doing.

If you have to integrate/merge a directory that was branched at some other
time, you're (potentially) in for a heap of work, especially if the files
inside those directories have been branched, too.

I guess what I'm saying is, in my experience, the advantage of branching
directories is greatly overpowered by the potential to muck everything up.

The reasoning behind versioning/branching a directory is to track deletes
and renames/moves of files. I believe CVS does not even attempt to do this,
but Perforce, in my opinion, offers a happy medium. Renames are just
branches on files. Deletes are essentially a new version (#delete, or is it
#deleted?) of a file, so it's very easy to see what someone was intending to
do, and all your history is preserved. All your metadata remains happy and
easy to read/interpret.

-Matt