[p4] correct way to update directory hierarchy?

Jeff Schmidt jschmidt at multi-ad.com
Fri Jun 4 11:40:52 PDT 2004

What is the correct way to update a directory hierarchy in Perforce? We
have several bodies of third party code that is updated periodically
and involve a large number of files. Some files get changed, some
deleted, and other added with each new release. We've generally done a
delete on the old hierarchy, then added the new code drop. However
we've noticed that when we integrate these changes to branches that
need them, Perforce will almost always miss a number of them and the
branch does not end up with the correct versions (the main line always
ends up correct after the delete-and-add). Is there a better way to do
this that works 100% of the time?

Jeffrey Schmidt, senior software architect
MultiAdĀ® Creator and Creator Server
jschmidt at multiad.com