[p4] Handling large number of manual merge conflicts

Hoff, Todd Todd.Hoff at Ciena.com
Fri Jun 11 11:06:57 PDT 2004

We had a group that did a great job of merging
between branches. As a developer i appreciated
all the work it saved me and would recommend
this approach highly if you can find the
right people to do it.

As the group contracts though it seems developers
will have to perform the merges. Developers
as mergers encourages a flatter branching structure
with fewer longer term feature branches.

With a separate group you could support a more complex
branch structure transparently to the developers.
Which is both good and bad.

In all cases you'll need good tests to verify
functionality.