[p4] Handling large number of manual merge conflicts

Hoff, Todd Todd.Hoff at Ciena.com
Fri Jun 11 12:24:48 PDT 2004

There are a lot of different projects out in the world.
Concluding absolute rules from your project works as well
as it does in the political realm :-)

Two dozen developers, for example, is not a lot.
Consider 100 developers making 2 changes a week on an overlapping
set of files. What does the change profile look like to any
child branches? What if just one of those changes introduces a new way
to do something so we can fit in a certain memory limit?
What if verifying a set of changes takes a week because there
are many millions of dollars of scarce equipment that must be
configured and reconfigured? What if one of those tests finds
a very difficult to track down deadlock problem or ASIC issue?

Keep an open mind.