[p4] Question about branching/integrating
dagg at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 14 11:13:19 PDT 2004
--- Noel Yap <Noel.Yap at morganstanley.com> wrote:
> I don't quite understand this last part. Can you
> give an example, please?
I'll give it a shot:
1. //depot/a/... was branched to //depot/b/...
2. Files in //depot/a/... were edited.
3. Files in //depot/b/... were edited.
4. //depot/b/... was merged into //depot/a/...
5. Developers now want a new place to check in
some files. They _don't_ know if they
want to incorporate the latest //depot/a/...
code, but they _do_ know they want to
incorporate all of the //depot/b/... code.
I'll create //depot/c/... , but I don't
know where to branch it from.
For #5, we don't know if //depot/c/ will be released
to production before or after //depot/a/ .
My inclination is to branch from //depot/b/, but
that seems to cause lots of merging headaches, later.
Do you Yahoo!?
Friends. Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger.
More information about the perforce-user