[p4] Which dept for build/release engineers?

Ivey, William william_ivey at bmc.com
Tue Jun 15 09:16:24 PDT 2004

Well, if you have to separate QA from development in the
first place... (Seems to be the norm, but I've seen more
success in companies where each development team had at
least a couple of QA persons embedded in it - it was
like unit testing on steroids.)

Anyway, in my role of build/release something or other I
spend more time working with development than QA. Probably
a 9:1 ratio. Most of this is coaxing developers into
sensible build structures and red-flagging conflicts
between interdependant products, fixing makefiles and
scripts, etc. For QA, I mostly tell them when its ready,
pass along the fixes that were built, and answer a few
questions about structural changes. -Wm