[p4] Question about branching/integrating

Chuck Karish chuck.karish at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 09:31:50 PDT 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:08:41 -0700 (PDT), David Rybolt <dagg at yahoo.com> wrote:
> That won't work in this case, unfortunately.  The
> 4.1.0 code was integrated into main _after_ some
> changes were already added to main.  That means I
> can't get all the 4.1.0 code integrated into my new
> branch unless:

[ ... ]

You're not presenting a clear picture of the requirements
you're trying to meet with these branches.   Once you
sort through what you're trying to accomplish to support
each development goal it'll be easier to choose a solution.

> > A more radical approach:  Make a permanent
> > forward-development branch,
> > and integrate features from //depot/dev only when
> > theu're ready to be
> > released.  The main line stays clean, the developers
> > grumble about
> > doing one more integration, the project managers
> > love that release
> > readiness is predictable and that they control
> > release contents.
>
> I'll likely utilize this approach at a latter
> date, but I still fear issues like this:
>
>   main
>     +-- dev1
>     +-- dev2
>
> Both dev1 and dev2 are branched from main.  What do
> I do if the dev1 folks want some of the dev2 code?

Baseless merges.  Build a system to keep track of them.

This is not related to my suggestion.  You present the general
case for two development branches taken from the same parent.

Under my scheme I'd take release/maintenance branches
from main and forward development branches from dev.

  Chuck