FW: [p4] Which dept for build/release engineers?

Janulewicz, Matthew mjanulew at alarismed.com
Tue Jun 15 10:38:09 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Janulewicz, Matthew
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 10:37 AM
To: 'Hoff, Todd'
Subject: RE: [p4] Which dept for build/release engineers?

In practice, that doesn't always happen, though. At least not at the dumps
where I've worked in the past.

If my doctor was my best buddy from high school, maybe he doesn't want to
worry me when he finds a lump in my side that has a slight chance of being
cancer. He knows I just lost my job, and that my wife is sick, and maybe he
doesn't want to burden me with it until he knows for sure. Maybe I die in
the meantime. I'd rather have a stranger be my doctor so he/she can be
blunt.

It's probably just my personality and the fact that I've been burned by this
kind of thing in the past. It does have to do with process enforcement,
authority, etc., but I've been victimized countless times by testers that
want a certain fix in a build for whatever reason, one that is not a
requirement and not part of the design, and the engineer provides it to
them. It promptly breaks everything.

I'm not suggesting a wall be built between engineers and testers, and I do
advocate a certain amount of interaction, but not wholesale sameness. An
increase is camaraderie correlates to a loss in objectivity.

-Matt