[p4] Advice on Checkpoints?

jab jab at pobox.com
Thu Jun 17 10:19:26 PDT 2004

On Jun 17, 2004, at 9:49 AM, Eric D. Blom wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has some general advice on how long to keep
> checkpoints and journals around?
>
> We have never needed a checkpoint or a journal except for server
> upgrades. When we started with Perforce 4 years ago we were
> checkpointing every night. Now we checkpoint once a week. Over the
> past 20 months we have collected 20 GB of checkpoints.
>
> Is there any reason to keep checkpoints that are over 12 month old or
> 3 months for that matter?

Not really, although it's sometimes convenient to have the
checkpoint/backup that was in place
as of the moment of a release, as a truly paranoid bit of extra
protection for your off-site vaults.
(In California, we have earthquakes, you see...) Still, it's easier to
include that as a deliverable
of a release process, and not a side-effect of archiving every night's
checkpoint for a decade.

	-Jeff Bowles