[p4] Reasons not to allow adding junk files to Perforce

Ivey, William william_ivey at bmc.com
Fri Jun 18 10:47:30 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: HB. Nguyen [mailto:hbnguyen at sirf.com]

> Hi all,
> Our management people are adding lots of stuffs that
> are not "Source Codes" into Perforce (ex: job
> descriptions, time sheets ... ).
>
> Please give me 3 reasons to convince them not to add
> it to Perforce.

Actually, I'm trying to get my management people to add
stuff like that to version control. (Well, not
everything, but a lot of documents.) Any document that
changes over time should, potentially, be under some
kind of version control, in my opinion.

Case in point: If five people update a functional spec,
there's a really good chance it will 1) be saved under
five file names, each encoding the date of change in
some "meaningful" but unique way, or, 2) be saved
under the same file name overwriting previous versions
or making it difficult to figure out which of five
identical files is the latest.

However, that said, they probably shouldn't be using the
same area of the repository unless the documents are
closely related to the source. Why not give them
their own depot? -Wm