[p4] Reasons not to allow adding junk files to Perforce

Grills, Jeff jgrills at soe.sony.com
Fri Jun 18 11:25:40 PDT 2004

I highly support the behavior you seem to not like.  But it's best to put those sorts of things in their own place.  We have (where current is our mainline branch):

    //depot/studio/doc/...
    //depot/swg/current/data/...
    //depot/swg/current/doc/...
    //depot/swg/current/src/...
    and so on

The //depot/studio/doc/... directory is where stuff not related to the game project goes, and //depot/swg/current/doc/... is obviously where most of the game-related documentation goes.  We even add private user directories for those who ask for them, such as this:

    //depot/user/jgrills/...

When I was a system administrator, I found it very useful to keep much of /etc on my unix machines in source control.  And we're in the process of migrating all of our live server configuration files into perforce as well.

Version control is your friend.  Use it.  As long as your hierarchy is laid out well, people should be able to avoid mapping in files they don't care about, and your server performance will be basically unaffected.  The only concern I think you may justifiably have is disk space.  Versions of files never go away - perforce only ever grows (discounting obliterate, of course).