[p4] Reasons not to allow adding junk files to Perforce

Todd Short tshort at cisco.com
Fri Jun 18 11:23:39 PDT 2004

Anything needed to reproduce the software should be under source control.
Especially if they change over time, and/or are modified by multiple people.

This includes, source code, tools (yes I wanted to put my compiler under
source control), requirement, functional and design specifications.

Things like job descriptions and time sheets don't fall into this category.
They are typically created by a single person, and while they change over
time, they represent work during a week. It's not as though when you submit
a new time sheet that you are modifying an old timesheet from last week, you
are creating a new record/document.

Test plans and results should be in a dedicated system that can track
results over a number of releases and builds.

--
-Todd Short
// tshort at cisco.com
// "One if by land, two if by sea, three if by the Internet."