[p4] Reasons not to allow adding junk files to Perforce

Mark Harrison mh at pixar.com
Fri Jun 18 13:18:27 PDT 2004

HB. Nguyen wrote:
> Hi all,
> Our management people are adding lots of stuffs that are not "Source
> Codes" into Perforce (ex: job descriptions, time sheets ... ).
>
> Please give me 3 reasons to convince them not to add it to Perforce.
> Thanks

1.  Your files are not important.
2.  Disk space is too expensive.
3.  We can't afford the extra perforce license.

Of course if these are not true, maybe they *should* be adding them
to Perforce.  Seriously, it's a lot better to try to find old project
files if they're dumped into perforce than if they're sitting on
people's hard drives, old laptops, etc.  Suggest to them to set
up a dedicated part of the tree for this.

Cheers,
Mark